Our goal is to maximise the economic value of the business for our shareholders in a way that is sustainable over time. We integrate social and environmental aspects into our management and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with our stakeholders including employees, partners, contractors, suppliers, communities, civil society and authorities.
- RESPECT for others:
We believe in, and respect people and are genuinely interested in their well-being. We value their opinion and interact with them in an open and collaborative manner. We gain their confidence and trust by fulfilling our commitments.
- Passionate about SAFETY AND HEALTH:
We are responsible both for our own safety and health, and the safety and health of others, by identifying and controlling our risks and by being aware of the impact of our actions.
- Committed to SUSTAINABILITY:
We understand that being committed to sustainability involves creating economic, environmental and social value. We respect our environment and society and proactively engage with them.
- EXCELLENCE in our daily performance:
We continually seek to achieve the best possible results through operational discipline, efficiency and a wise use of resources.
- INNOVATION as a permanent practice:
We recognise and promote new ideas that improve the way we work and the way we relate to others, looking at creating value for the company, people and society at large.
- FORWARD THINKING:
We look into the future and understand that our business strategy is a long-term commitment. We learn from our experience and are courageous and flexible when facing the challenges of our changing world.
- We respect the environment and its diverse natural components, including those relating to natural and social heritage, assessing opportunities for improvement within such settings and to ensure biodiversity conservation.
- We manage natural resources efficiently and responsibly, especially with regard to water, energy and land usage and by employing innovative technology in our processes.
- We identify the potential environmental risks and impacts of our activities at an early stage, from project design through to aspects relating to rehabilitation and mine closure.
- We prevent pollution by controlling and monitoring our processes, adequately managing waste and implementing effective systems to prepare for emergencies and environmental incidents.
- We implement environmental management systems which are integrated in our business, establish objectives, goals and indicators that seek continuous improvement and periodically assess our environmental performance.
- We promote a culture of respect towards the environment among our employees and stakeholders, which distinguishes our Group’s approach towards environmental responsibility.
- We incorporate into dialogue with our stakeholders issues concerning the environmental impacts which affect them, and communicate our environmental performance in a timely and transparent manner.
- We comply with applicable environmental legislation, as well as with commitments we have voluntarily signed up to, and, when legislation proves insufficient, we apply standards based on international best practice.
- We learn and study in advance about the social, cultural, economic, legal and political contexts in the areas where we work, and we assess the potential impacts, risks and opportunities associated with our activities on communities.
- We promote respect among our employees and contractors towards the culture, customs and values of local communities and indigenous groups.
- We support local capacity building by encouraging sustainable development, avoiding the creation of dependencies and facilitating alliances that generate local employment and economic activity.
- We focus our support on education and training, by offering opportunities for integration into the mining industry and strengthening other economic sectors that sustain local development upon closure of our activities.
- We implement public affairs management processes based on analysis of global, national, regional and local settings, that includes regular dialogue with key stakeholders.
- We develop dialogue channels with the community and other stakeholders to communicate our initiatives and performance, while listening to them, integrating them and providing precise and timely responses which generate relationships based on trust and collaboration.
- We develop and maintain a crisis management system to address crisis situations in an appropriate and timely manner and in response to the concerns of our stakeholders.
- We promote an understanding of the role of mining in society, by providing relevant information on metals and their uses, as well as on related businesses developed by Antofagasta.
The Group has established a code to govern the conduct of the relationships with shareholders, workers, authorities, communities, customers, suppliers and business partners.
For more information, please read the Code of Ethics.